Saturday, October 19, 2013

Kiwi English


While I'm on the topic of learning new languages, I thought I'd add a bit to my list of new Kiwi vocabulary I've been learning. I realize that it doesn't quite count as learning a new language, but some days it feel like it should.

Here is a list of new Kiwi words, followed by the American English equivalent, and then the sentence that brought them to my attention, if helpful.

~ Nappy (Diaper)
~ Tea (Brunch/Snack) -  Teacher: "We usually clean up before morning tea, so the children can all come together to eat."
~ Rellies (Relatives)
~ Spade (Shovel) -  I realize that we also use the word spade, but here the children didn't know what the world shovel meant, and were relieved to figure out that I meant spade.
~ Togs (Swimsuit)
~ Boot (Trunk of Car) -  Car Salesman: "It's got a lot of space in the boot for the size of the car." This is a wonderful quote, because it was followed by the most confused look I have ever seen on J's face.
~ Cellotape (Scotch Tape) -  Child: "You have long fingernails so you can always find the end of the cellotape. My are short, so my mom has to help me with cellotape."
~ Fine (Nice Weather) -  "It's been quite rainy this week, but tomorrow is supposed to be fine."
~ Choice (Very Good) - "That store is quite expensive, but the clothes there are choice."
~ Dairy (Convenience Store) -  "You can just ask at the dairy what kind of rubbish sticker you need."
~ Footpath (Sidewalk)
~ Give Way (Yield) -  It says this on Yield signs, which I think is hilarious. I can't help but imagine the car crumbling into nothing when it's instructed to Give Way.
~ Lemonade (Clear Pop) -  7Up, Sprite, etc. I don't know what they call what we call lemonade, now that I think of it.
~ Ute (Pickup Truck) -  "No problem, we can bring it over. We have a ute." (Pronounced 'Yoot')

Again, many of these words/phrases are the same as what I've heard in England, which makes sense, because NZ was a British colony. But the accent is very different, and there are some unique words. Togs, for example, is just in NZ, I think.

For the most part, I am not having much trouble understanding the Kiwi accent anymore. However, there are certain people whose particular speech patterns are difficult for me. One of the delivery guys who brought our furniture must have thought I was deaf, because I had to ask him to repeat everything he said at least twice. It's very odd, because once I understand them, then I can't nail down how they even sound different from people I do understand, but there must be something. I have heard the people from out in the country have much more intense accents (which seems to be true all over the world), so maybe that's part of it. I have also heard that people on the South Island have very strong accents, but most of the South Island is very rural, so maybe that's mostly the same thing.

I haven't found myself talking like a Kiwi yet, although I still sometimes find myself incorporating their words or phrases into my thinking. I am eager to keep learning more, and integrating into the culture and language.

2 comments:

  1. Richard Harris

    Fascinating comments about Maori! Does it have relatively few phonemes? I know some Polynesian languages are noted for having the fewest phonemes of any languages in the world (c. 10-12) but not sure if Maori is like that or not.

    Have you heard "Kia ora" (hello) much yet? I found that used a lot, including by pakehas (Euro-Kiwis)--another common Maori borrowing into Kiwi English.

    I think you will find more urban-rural difference that North-South Island, though there are fewer Maoris on South Island (in fact one of the Whitest places in the world overall), though I'm sure no. of Asians is growing there also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard,

      Māori definitely has less phonemes than English, but it has a lot more than 10-12, especially since you can put up to three vowels in a row after one consonant. That gives you lots more options.

      Yes, "Kia ora" is written many places, and I've heard it a lot, especially on TV. It is also in a lot of the children's books.

      Yes, I was happy to end up on the North Island specifically because of the increased racial diversity. I have enjoyed living in White Kansas, but I am glad to see so many different cultures and races here.

      Delete