Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Helicopter Trip

For Christmas this year, J and I decided to give each other events or experiences rather than objects. It was a brilliant idea (that I came up with), and has worked out very well.

J's gift to me was a certificate for a helicopter trip to the Coromandel, complete with a picnic lunch and time to explore before flying back. He picked very well, knowing how I'd fallen in love with the Coromandel's beauty when I went there with Mom, and how I adore anything to do with flying. He did not, however, read the details very well, which became clear as we discussed it. I said, "So we'll fly from Auckland over the bay to the Coromandel." His response: "What? It leaves from Auckland? We have to go all the way to Auckland!? No!" Sometimes heart is more important than being a thorough planner, so it's all good.

Unfortunately, I was mildly sick and J was stressed out and we were both easily irritated, so the drive up to Auckland (all 8.5 hours of it) were not our most enjoyable (or even civil) of times. A pity, but it happens.

Fortunately, we put all the aside and resolved to have a fabulous time on our helicopter trip, which was easy, given how amazing it was.

We had two very friendly and capable pilots who flew the helicopter incredibly smoothly.

I look like I belong in a helicopter, I think.

We started out flying over the land south of Auckland, which was (unsurprisingly, as we're in NZ) beautiful. It's be an extremely dry summer, so things are becoming more yellow than green, but it was still stunning.

J tends to get motion sick when flying, even after taking medicine. However, he didn't have any problems at all during our smooth flight, and was able to enjoy the breathtaking views.

This was right in the middle of our flight over the Firth of Thames, which is the bay in between Auckland and the Coromandel Peninsula. The water was gorgeous.
At about this time in our flight, one of the pilots spotted dolphins, and promptly veered and swooped down so that we could get a good glimpse of them. It was both exhilarating and beautiful, which is a fabulous combination.

The Coromandel has all kinds of promontories, inlets, hills, beaches, etc. This is one of many beautiful ones we flew over or near.

As far as I could tell, the whole coastline is squiggly like this, which makes for impressive views from a helicopter.

We landed on top of a hill, in an area that can only be accessed by helicopter or by boat. The pilots set up a lovely little picnic area for us, and left us a cooler full of food. They they flew away, to return a couple hours later to pick us up.

We had our pick of a couple beaches within a few minutes' walk, and we picked this one because there wasn't a single boat near it, so it was our own personal, private beach. Plus, it was beautiful, but they were all that.

I asked J to take a picture of me on the beach, which he technically did, but you'll just have to trust that it's actually me.
We had a wonderful swim on the beach, and the day was warm enough for even cold-blooded me to cope well with the chill of the ocean water.

This was my favourite view on the walk back up to our picnic area. I find the colours and layers of landscape mesmerizing.

We had a great picnic lunch. I should have set it out more invitingly for the picture, but I'll just assure you that it was delicious, and just the perfect thing after a swim.

When we were finished eating, we leaned back and admired the view. It was well worth admiring.

We felt incredibly upscale and important, standing on a beautiful hilltop awaiting our personal helicopter. It should be noted that while J did feel this, he was also fiercely focused on ensuring that neither of us were sliced to bits by the blades, which had been made to seem like a real possibility during the safety briefing. I had, of course, forgotten about that by this point, but as I did not lose a single appendage, I must have done okay.

One more shot out the window, taken on the way back. A fittingly beautiful picture to sum up and incredible afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. 'On the coasts of Coromandel, where the early pumpkins blow, lived the Yongi Bongi Bo....' --Edward Lear. I did not know it was any more real than the Jumblies and the Owl and the Pussycat. Thank you for the lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete